Mike Killebrew, Acting City Manager
The City of Dana Point encourages community involvement and is committed to:
- Develop and ensure the highest possible quality of life for our residents, businesses and visitors.
- Provide a safe and enhanced environment within a sound economic atmosphere.
- Provide an effective and efficient government which is open and responsive to the needs of the community and works for the benefit of all.
The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and is the Chief Administrative Officer of the City. The City Manager coordinates the implementation of the City Council policy decisions and the initiation of all intergovernmental operations of the City. The City Manager is responsible for directing the various departments and providing guidance in the implementation of the mandates of the City Council.
The City Manager also represents the City with outside governmental agencies, presents an annual budget to the City Council, coordinates a variety of public information resources for both internal and public distribution, and is also the appointed City Treasurer. In addition, the City Manager is responsible for the long-range planning for the organization and the development of recommendations to the City Council on a variety of public policy issues.
More specifically, the City Manager shall be expected to, and shall have the power to perform the following, as stated in the Dana Point Municipal Code 2.08.060:
- Enforce all laws and Ordinances of the City and to see that all franchises, contracts, permits, and privileges granted by the City Council are faithfully observed.
- Appoint, remove, promote, and demote any and all officers and employees of the City, except elected officials, the City Attorney and the City Treasurer, subject to all applicable personnel rules and regulations which may be adopted by the City Council.
- Control, order, and give directions to all department heads who are subject to his/her appointment and removal authority and to subordinate officers and employees of the City under his/her jurisdiction through their department heads.
- Conduct studies and effect such organization and reorganization of offices, positions or units under his/her direction as may be indicated in the interests of efficient, effective, and economical conduct of the City’s business.
- Recommend to the City Council for adoption such measures and Ordinances as he/she deems necessary.
- Attend all meetings of the City Council unless excused therefrom by the Mayor individually or the City Council as a whole, except when his/her removal is under consideration.
- Prepare and submit the proposed annual budget and the proposed annual salary plan to the City Council for its approval.
- Keep the City Council at all times fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the City.
- Make investigations into the affairs of the City and any department of division thereof and any contract or other obligation of the City; and further to investigate all complaints in relation to matters concerning the administration of the City government and in regard to the service maintained by public utilities in the City.
- Exercise general supervision over all public buildings, public parks, and all other public properties which are under the control and jurisdiction of the City.
- Have the same authority as the Mayor, as the convenience of the parties may dictate, to sign documents specified in Section 40602 of the California Government Code whenever such documents have been approved by the City Council for execution by Resolution, motion, minute order, or other appropriate action.
- Perform such other responsibilities and exercise such other powers as may be delegated to him/her from time to time by Ordinance or Resolution or other official action of the City Council.
The City Manager and his staff also handle special projects and Council assignments which do not fall within the jurisdiction of and other city department.
Please refer to the City Directory section of this web site for information on how to contact the City Manager’s Office.